Russell is a partner in MG+M’s Miami office. His practice is dedicated to complex litigation primarily in the areas of product and premise liability, sexual abuse and molestation claims, and first-party property insurance litigation. Russell continues to serve as lead counsel in notable high-profile wrongful death cases, and has worked extensively in matters involving the defense of national and international product manufacturers, commercial premises and business owners, and for domestic and international insurers in first-party disputes.
Russell's proven record of obtaining results includes:
- Obtained final summary judgment for a celebrity-owned mega-yacht sued in Fort Lauderdale by the decedent's Estate seeking millions in damages. The Estate appealed and Russell successfully handled the appeal, including oral argument in Florida's Fourth District Court of Appeal, which affirmed summary judgment in a written opinion.
- Obtained a defense verdict for Simon Malls after a two-week wrongful death case stemming from a Christmas Eve shooting of a twenty-four year old at the Boynton Beach Mall. The Christmas Eve shooting made national headlines and the suspect was captured after being featured on the TV show "America’s Most Wanted." The family of the deceased asked the jury to award $5 million during trial.
- Brought in as trial counsel on behalf of Mansion Nightclub (Miami Beach) in another highly publicized wrongful death case involving the stabbing and tragic death of a newlywed nightclub bouncer and two patrons. He was instrumental in securing a favorable global settlement under confidential terms and well within policy limits.
- Obtained a defense verdict after a one-week jury trial for a Tampa area condominium association. In addition to the verdict, the court entered a final judgment against the plaintiff in excess of $100,000 for the condominium association’s attorney’s fees and costs.
- Successful in settling a commercial dispute during the third day of trial in federal court for less than 10 percent of the demand, which also included a complete settlement of a companion case filed in federal court in New York.
- Obtained a defense verdict for a national boat manufacturing company in a three-week products liability jury trial involving five personal injury plaintiffs and an insurance company seeking millions of dollars in damages. The verdict was featured in the South Florida Daily Business Review.
- Obtained a complete dismissal of another South Florida wrongful death case arising out of a Christmastime altercation in a Miami Beach store. He was able to obtain a dismissal without his client paying any money to the Estate, and in addition, secured his client's ability to recover his own attorney's fees and costs incurred in defending the action.
- Obtained two complete dismissals in separate subrogation actions without his client paying any money. The subrogation actions were brought by an insurance company against his clients resulting from a house fire and a condominium flooding. The insurance companies were seeking over $300,000 combined and dismissed the actions in exchange for Russell's clients agreeing not to pursue recovery of their attorney's fees and costs after Russell obtained several favorable rulings from the courts.
- Russell continues to obtain favorable results including the management of seven figure exposure for his domestic and international insurers resulting from Cat losses.
Russell earned his law degree from the University of Miami School of Law, cum laude, in 2003 where he received the Dean’s Certificate of Achievement Award in legal research and writing, the Cali Excellence for the Future Award in legal research and writing, Dean’s Merit Scholarship and the Paul B. Anton Scholarship for academic excellence. He graduated from Nova Southeastern University, magna cum laude, with a B.S. in 1999.
Russell has argued before four of the five District Courts of Appeal in Florida and is admitted to the Florida Bar, all state courts in Florida, the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals and the United States District Courts for the Southern, Middle, and Northern districts of Florida.
In 2015, Russell was recognized by Florida Super Lawyers as a “Rising Star,” an honor given to the top 2 percent of attorneys in Florida who are 40 years old or younger. Russell was recognized again as a “Rising Star” in 2016 by Super Lawyers, and again in 2017. In that same year, Russell received the AV Preeminent rating, which is a significant rating accomplishment and a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence. In 2019 and again in 2020, Russell was named one of America’s Top 100 Civil Defense Litigators by America’s Top 100 Attorneys. Membership among America’s Top 100 Civil Defense Litigators is meant to identify and highlight the accomplishments of the nation’s most esteemed and skilled civil defense attorneys. Only 100 attorneys in each state receive this honor. Russell was also chosen as 2020 Honorees of the South Florida Legal Guide Top Lawyers List.
Russell has authored an article on marine insurance published by the University of San Francisco Maritime Law Journal, which has been cited by federal courts throughout the United States and is also a regular guest lecturer at the University of Miami School of Communication in advocacy and public speaking. He enjoys living in Miami, traveling and racing cars.