Throughout the interview, Amaryah shares about her background, career and mentors, and discusses five things needed to lead a successful law firm:
- Surround yourself with a diverse, strong team of people, many of whom are smarter than yourself.
- Communicate often and well.
- Be direct and forceful when needed.
- Do not be afraid of candid and honest feedback.
- Take risks with the understanding that sometimes you will fail.
About the entrepreneurial skills a lawyer needs to run and lead a firm, Amaryah says, "Learn to be a business owner, not just a lawyer. I try to always know what I don’t know. And when I don’t know something, I surround myself with those who do and learn from them. Law firms often fail when they put people in place who are not self-aware and who do not have a business or financial background. My goal—which I learned from my mentor John Manning—is to put strong, smart members on your team and then trust them."